>DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE< Super Bowl pregame 2011

"We the people of the United States, in order to form a more perfect union."

Sunday, May 1, 2016

May Day ~no need for help, just a Celebration~

 
 
~ *May Day* ~
May 1
 
Legend has it:
Traditionally, people believed that witches held Walpurgis Night celebrations on the summit of the Blocksberg, a mountain in the state of Saxony-Anhalt, on the night between April 30 and May 1.

People believed that it was dangerous to be outside on this night so they lit fires and danced wildly to deter the witches from coming too close to them or their homes.

These traditions lead to the custom of lighting fires and erecting maypoles still seen today.
http://www.timeanddate.com/holidays/germany/may-day

MAY DAY
 
This day has always held fascination for me, as a child I never knew where my parents family's came from, I mean, the heritage, if they all came from America, I would be a Native American, and that is clearly not the case, for my eyes are blue.

I remember the day I heard something about one of my parents being Polish, I thought to myself, why are they unhappy with being Polish, or it seemed that way to a child of 7.
Come to find out they may not be Polish at all, the father's parents came from Prussia, so states documents from the late 1800's, one of the father's parents on the same document was stated as being from Germany. Before Poland was even a country.
At the time of their arrival in the United States, Prussia, Russia, Germany and a few other countries were having a problem with what I would call property lines.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Oh, why the family history? May Day has always seemed like a day that should be celebrated.
If you think about it, it's kinda like all the holidays rolled into one.

The dancing ~ New Years
The candy ~ Valentine and Easter
The flowers ~ Mother's Day
The workers ~ Labor Day
The fire dances to keep witches away ~ Halloween
The leaving of a gift ~ Christmas

Guess there are a few left out, it will be ok, no worries.

Just an observation about the day.

Hope you enjoy the day.

til next time,

connie


.

1 comment:

  1. An interesting take on May Day, a great day to celebrate Spring :-) We had a lovely day, then a night of dreadful storms...I think the witches were in the air!

    Have a lovely day, Connie

    warmly,

    Beth

    ReplyDelete